Hurry up, kiddo
Wednesday May 30th 2012, 10:40 pm
Filed under: Family,Food

The box sits there. Unopened. I haven’t even looked at the bars inside because if I did it might all be over. They need to be pristine.

Michelle comes home tomorrow and there are two critically acclaimed bars of Potomac Chocolate sitting inside their Priority mailer, having come from near where we grew up; Richard ordered them for me with Mother’s Day as an excuse after the fact and they arrived a few days ago.

Isn’t it everybody’s dream to set up a tiny chocolate factory in their basement? Buy directly from the farmers, claim the quality because you made it come to be and you did it right? Paying for the best cocoa beans, then grinding them down, tempering, a little sugar going in. Nothing more. Picking up where Scharffenberger sold out and left off. Getting growing praise for a great product.

One. More. Day.

Meantime, I baked a second chocolate hazelnut torte tonight, substituting coconut oil for the butter so Michelle could eat it. It’s only fair; she’s the one that got me hooked on working with hazelnuts. I went researching a bit, and oil swaps out for butter best where there are a lot of nut oils present.

Hey.

Looks perfect. And now it has to refrigerate overnight before unmolding and slicing.

One. More. Day.

Meantime…

7 Comments so far

Lick your fingers.

Comment by Sherry in Idaho 05.31.12 @ 6:39 am

Oh my. I can’t believe my “Potomac” connections were silent on that one. I’m drooling…

… and laughing. I’ve seen spinners spin with a rabbit in a lap, but … giggle.

Comment by Channon 05.31.12 @ 7:38 am

I’m thinking some of the “one more day” anticipation is for seeing your daughter — I can totally understand that — and having excellent chocolate to share seems like the best welcome home celebration ever!!

Comment by Bev 05.31.12 @ 9:48 am

Had to check the dates, The ‘one more day’ looks like today, and maybe the chocolate hazelnut torte is being eaten as I type! Hope so! A day is a long time to wait.

Comment by LynnM 05.31.12 @ 11:53 am

Thank you for that “Meantime” – added some fun to my day! I hope you’re having a wonderful day yourselves! :)

Comment by Suzanne in Montreal 05.31.12 @ 1:29 pm

What fun to be baking special things for darling daughters. And I can already hear Michelle and Ryan laughing together and see you in my mind’s eye looking on with a grin on your face.

Comment by twinsetellen 05.31.12 @ 8:09 pm

I’ve saved the Potomac chocolate site to examine mre closely for Yule this year. (Oscar’s birthday is in July, which makes shipping meltables a chancy business.. perhaps I can make him one of your coconut cream chocolate tortes for his birthday this year :-} We already plan to go to a Jimmy Buffett concert to celebrate.

Comment by Diana Troldahl 06.01.12 @ 7:24 am